For when you can’t be bothered figuring out the dials on your own stovetop.
Fact: cafes open in Melbourne more frequently than the sun shines. Fiction: all Melbourne cafes are fabulous. Hoards will run to the newest cafe on the block, but more often than not, the “new” is offering the “same old, same old.” Different location, different name, same same same. Not so, at the Stovetop, a recent opening near Melbourne University, just at the border of the CBD. Order the Waffles ($13). Metaphorically, it’s one gorgeous super-sized flower, guaranteed to brighten up your day. Actually, two waffles sandwiching a creamy swathe of orange-scented vanilla bean custard. Top-it off with a blanket of nuts and cinnamon and dukkah. D-e-f-r-e-a-k-i-n-g-l-i-c-i-o-u-s. We will let the pictures do the talking!
- Dessert adventure checklist
- Dessert destination: Stovetop Cafe, 100 Leicester Street, Carlton, Vic 3035.
- Budget: $.
- Sweet irresistibles: Breakfast dessert
- Must-eat: The “Cinnamon and Custard Waffles.”
- The short and sweet story: When you can’t be bothered figuring out the dials on your own stove, this new cafe serves up irresistible, forget-me-not, sunflower-like waffles..